Tuesday, January 12, 2010

BONNE ANNEE - Integrated Goals for 2010




At the beginning of each year I pretend I am pedantic. I set up a plan for the next decade (I'm not joking), and lay out S.M.A.R.T. goals for the upcoming year (Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic Timely). I state in my journal what I am striving for in the following categories:

1. RELATIONSHIPS: Marriage; Mother-Son; Extended Family; Community; Int'l Community
2. MYSELF: Physical; Spiritual; Intellectual; Creative; Educational; Professional
3. As a FAMILY: Finances Present; Future Finances; Professional; Educational; Fun

I also set two mini-goals, adventures that contribute to the overall well-being of me and my family.

To make sure I'm on track, throughout the year I regularly reflect on/write about:
a. What I'm grateful for
b. What risks I've been willing to take
c. Where Callum is at
d. How Colin is doing
e. What's up with our extended family
f. What's going on with our friends/community
g. I check in on creativity/health/time in nature/quiet time/spirituality
h. Whether I'm living a life of service/writing/work
i. Financial check-in and budget alignment
j. What's new regarding France
k. The weather

This year my goals are STREAMLINED.

CALLUM - PEACE OF MIND
Callum is being picked on for not being/speaking French. There are a lot of kids who like him but no one to share his thoughts with, and no one to get his back when a group of boys decide he's an easy target on the playground. He's feisty, the "pack" gets a reaction, so it continues.
ACTION: I have a meeting with the Directrice, his teacher, the school psychologist and a work colleague of mine who out of the goodness of her heart is willing to be the interpreter. I am looking for solutions and I WILL facilitate change.
ACTION: Circus school - to foster skills he's proud of and to keep up his self-confidence. It will also give him collateral on the playground.
ACTION: Vitamins - Omega 3's help him stay clear and focused.

COLIN - FINANCIAL RESOLUTION, ROMANCE and HONESTY
For my husband I want a clean slate, for us to be free of debt and living in a balanced way that allows us to enjoy life in the present while making sure we're preparing for the future.
ACTION (finances): We've worked out a weekly budget and a timeline for debt clear-off-ment. We've been financially solid before, there's no reason for us not to make it happen again.
ACTION (romance): One date a week minimum, whether it's outside the home or in.
ACTION (honesty): Every day. This'll be hard, but it needs to happen. I can be martyr no more.

ME - PHYSICAL HEALTH (Derek Pritchard once told me, "If you don't have health there is nothing else."It's the foundation of being.) and SPIRITUAL HEALTH
ACTION: More sleep (more than 4 - 6 hours a night) through training and discipline.
ACTION: Exercise (3x a week minimum) with a goal (the 200km MARCH in the Netherlands).
ACTION: Writing (1x a week minimum)
ACTION: Studying French (1 hour per classroom hour- 5 hours in class/week)
ACTION: Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. (Great book - I forget the title).
ACTION: Time in the mountains (1x a month minimum) and feel the ground beneath my feet EVERY DAY.
ACTION: Do something new every day.
ACTION: Do something kind every day.

While it's not explicitly stated in my goals, family and community are extremely important to us. If I can manage the rest we'll have more energy and time for those we hold close to our hearts.

So as you begin this fresh year may you find yourself inspired by the natural wonders around you, by the people you meet, by the surprises that have yet to unfold. As I used to say to my compatriots at Outward Bound:
BE SAFE
HAVE FUN
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF

With love, passion and compassion,

Ramona Joy

No comments: